[SSSD] getent returns only single users

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Mon Apr 15 09:22:22 UTC 2013

On 15/04/13 10:13, John Hodrien wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Apr 2013, steve wrote:
>
>> On 04/15/2013 08:26 AM, John Hodrien wrote:
>>> Enumerate = false
>>>
>>> Jh
>> Hi
>> We have that. Are you saying it's case sensitive? Just tested it but
>> it doesn't seem to be.
>>
>> Question: are we supposed to be able to get a list of all users in
>> ldap using getent passwd?
>
> Sorry, I was posting in a hurry before I went out.  This is my reading of
> things.
>
> You're disabling enumerate, and then finding out you can't enumerate all
> users.  Surely this shouldn't be a surprise?  I'd also question why
> you even
> want to be able to do that.  What's your reason for wanting to be able
> to list
> *all* users?
>
> jh
Hi
I t was that enumerate = true wasn't working either. I've just added the
Ubuntu update ppa:
https://launchpad.net/~*sssd*/+archive/updates
The version that comes with 12.10 seems totally broken. This one works
as I expect: getent passwd returns a list of both local and domain
users, but it's not workable. Even with only 3 boxes connected, the
server just grinds to a halt. The ldap queries never stop. With nslcd,
it's just one quick read for the whole lot and the next time you ask, it
doesn't read anything at all from the directory. i wonder what sssd is
doing with all those reads?

We use getent passwd in many of our scripts which are mostly wrappers
around samba-tool which ships with the Samba 4.0 AD. It's nothing that
we couldn't do with wbinfo instead of getent, but I would prefer to
leave the scripts as they are and stick with nslcd. We like sssd because
it's got everything in one place.

Anyway, we've not given up yet. Maybe the method used for enumeration on
sssd will change to something more like nslcd or winbind in future.
Steve