[SSSD] Odd "Timer Expired" Errors causing SSH login drops

Caio James rcj1 at me.com
Tue Sep 18 14:37:30 UTC 2012

Greetings,

I'm running a file transfer server inside of my business with some decent traffic (but not what I would call heavy traffic).

Users use SFTP to transfer files. A couple of times per day, one or two of my users (not all of them) experience issues logging in. These users are local users, not LDAP. /var/log/secure shows the following:

> Sep 18 08:17:04 radvma29 sshd[27378]: pam_unix(sshd:session): session opened for user wwbi by (uid=0)
> Sep 18 08:27:04 radvma29 sshd[27378]: pam_sss(sshd:session): Request to sssd failed. Timer expired

The user's connection is subsequently dropped, and they're not able to login until sssd is restarted. The sssd log doesn't seem to show any anomaly.

I've got sssd scheduled to restart twice per day with cron, but the traffic is increasing and users are now experiencing this more frequently.

I'm running Oracle Linux 6.3.

> [root at radvma29 ~]# sssd --version
> 1.8.0

My sssd.conf is below. Note that we do connect to an LDAP server insecurely. We're working with our IT team to fix this but it's a few months away:

> [sssd]
> config_file_version = 2
> services = nss, pam
> debug_level = 5
> domains = default
>
> [nss]
>
> [pam]
> cache_credentials = true
>
> [domain/default]
> ldap_auth_disable_tls_never_use_in_production = true
> access_provider = simple
> auth_provider = ldap
> chpass_provider = ldap
> cache_credentials = True
> krb5_realm = EXAMPLE.COM
> ldap_search_base = dc=mybusiness,dc=com
> id_provider = ldap
> ldap_uri = ldap://od.mybusiness.com/
> krb5_kdcip = kerberos.example.com
> ldap_tls_cacertdir = /etc/openldap/cacerts

Thank you for any direction that you can point me.

Caio