[SSSD] nss hosts and caching

Jakub Hrozek jhrozek at redhat.com
Thu Nov 29 16:52:36 UTC 2012

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 03:30:48PM +0000, James Hogarth wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Going through the docs I'm not entirely clear whether SSSD should be
> caching host lookups (if hosts has sss added in nsswitch.conf)
>
> Should it cache like this (with negative cache timeouts etc via the
> directives in [nss]) or should nscd be used alongside if host caching is
> required?
>
> Regards,
>
> James

No, hosts are not supported.

Currently the SSSD supports (and caches) these maps:
    * passwd (aka users)
    * groups
    * netgroups
    * services

If you need other maps to be cached, then the recommended setup is to
use nscd for those maps only. It is not recommended to use both sssd and
nscd for the same map.