[SSSD] Using patchwork for tracking SSSD patch status

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Thu Nov 1 06:07:51 UTC 2012

Hi all,
a few days ago I installed patchwork and an instance is tracking the
SSSD project here: https://patchwork.acksyn.org/project/SSSD/list/

Although patchwork is not a full cycle review system it seem to work
really well for tacking patches and patchsets and their status.

The only limitation with patchwork is that it really only likes one
patch per email. This is why I switched fully to using git send-email
both for the freeIPA (tracked as well) and the SSSD project.

The advantage of using patchwork and git send-email is that it makes it
easier to track feedback per patch (replies to patches are captured by
patchwork) and because git send-email send the patch as plain email text
content it makes it very easy to comment inline in the patch to
highlight issues.

Some of the SSSD developers already registered into patchwork in order
to manage patches. Please feel free to register, in order to allow sssd
developers to manage patches from anyone I need to explicitly give
maintainership of the project (in patchwork) to your account otherwise
you are allowed only to change status about your own patches (so that
external contributors can handle their own if they so wish).
So feel free to send me an email if you register and need maintainer
status to start changing patch status.

At the moment the patchwork server is not yet hooked into the master git
tree, so it does not detect when patches are finally pushed. So once you
push a password please simply change the status to 'Pushed' (you may
also set the 'archive' bit but it is not required).

You can read more about patchwork following the 'about' link.

If you have any question or issue feel free to reply to this thread or
contact me directly.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York