[SSSD] Very slow listing of files owned by many different users. Any solution?

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Wed Jun 27 17:36:59 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-06-27 at 13:18 -0400, Mark London wrote:
> Hi - We are running SSSD with LDAP at our site, where we have several
> hundred users.  LDAP is being served by our Windows domain server.
>
> With entry_cache_timeout set to a short value, when someone does an
> operation that requires information for multiple users, i.e. listing the
> owners of all of the user's home directories via the command "ls -l
> /home", this will take many many minutes to complete.  Of course, this
> happens, because an LDAP request has to be issued for each user, and
> then stored in the database.  Further similar operations will complete
> quickly, during the entry_cache_timeout period.  But such operations do
> not occur that frequent enough for the data to be kept in the cache.
>
> The only solution seems to be sto imply increase entry_cache_timeout to
> a very large value.  Of course, this is not ideal, because changes to
> the ldap entries will not be seen for a long time.  A kludge workaround,
> would be to keep a low timeout, and have a cron job that runs the
> command "ls -l /home" every 5 minutes, on each workstation.
>
> Is there a more elegant way to solve this problem?  Thanks.  - Mark

If this action is a very common one (listing all of /home), then in your
particular environment you will probably want to set 'enumerate = True'
in the [domain/DOMAINNAME] section of sssd.conf.

What this does is instruct SSSD to poll for cache updates on a regular
basis and store cached information about all users and groups at all
times.