[SSSD] sssd just 'Aborts' on RHEL5.

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Tue Jun 19 17:11:26 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-06-19 at 17:08 +0000, Steve Traylen wrote:
> On Jun 19, 2012, at 6:58 PM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2012-06-19 at 16:27 +0000, Steve Traylen wrote:
> >

> >> The default sssd.conf just contiains:
> >> [sssd]
> >> config_file_version = 2
> >> services = nss, pam
> >>

> >> [nss]
> >>

> >> [pam]
> >>

> > Well, there's your problem. You haven't configured the SSSD service at
> > all. You need to set it up properly or else it will not start. SSSD does
> > not work without a properly-configured domain section.
> >

> I would say it's not that obvious:
>
> * The configuration file is never accessed based on the access time. i.e the contents
>   of the file is irrelevant, the $( ls -lu /etc/sssd/sssd.conf) time is not changed by starting sssd.

On many modern systems, atime has been turned off because it causes
senseless writes. So this is not a valid metric.

> * With the same configuration on a centos box you get the sensible error, "no domain
>    is defined ".

Is that a CentOS 5.8 box? If so, then I'd call this a packaging error on
the Scientific Linux folks side.

> It's failing before the configuration file. I'll compare the dependencies on centos and slc to
> try and determine if they are different somehow.

Yeah, that's probably your best bet. But I'd really recommend putting a
*valid* sssd.conf in place to rule that out :)