[SSSD] Absence of 'mc' directory non-fatal

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Thu Jul 12 11:22:01 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-07-12 at 12:12 +0200, Jakub Hrozek wrote:

> > - Can't sssd just create all the directories it needs in /var/lib/sss
> >   by itself?
>
> I haven't tested this, but I'm not sure if SELinux would allow the
> mkdir. This seems like quite a corner case, why would the directories be
> missing?

Permission errors are one thing, but really it's a division of
responsibility problem. Establishing that the appropriate standard
directories are present is a problem that should be solved in packaging,
not at runtime. The only directories that should ever be created at
runtime are those whose location is dependent on runtime information
(such as Kerberos caches whose location is based on the UID of the user
logging in).

When we run 'make install' from source, we *do* create all of the
standard directories we expect to use (including /var/lib/sss/mc, I just
verified).