[SSSD] [SSSD-users] A test repository with SSSD 1.9 for RHEL-6.3

Jakub Hrozek jhrozek at redhat.com
Mon Dec 10 13:16:50 UTC 2012

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 11:23:53AM +0200, Jakub Hrozek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> even though RHEL-6.4 is still brewing, I think there might be some
> interest in trying out the 1.9.x series of the SSSD on RHEL-6.3.
>
> So I went ahead and built the SSSD 1.9.2 in a RHEL-6.3 buildroot:
> http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/jhrozek/sssd/epel-6/
>
> The NVR of these test packages will be lower than those in 6.4 to keep
> the upgrade path clean. The only missing functionality is the PAC
> responder, which means this SSSD version won't be able to work with
> an AD domain that is in a trust relationship with an IPA 3.x domain. I
> had to disable the PAC responder as it requires Kerberos 1.10.
>
> Because some new functionality required tweaking the SELinux policy, you
> will encounter AVC denials when the new fast cache is accessed. That
> said, my quick smoke testing went fine and we will be glad to hear test
> results or bug reports.
>
> Using the repository comes with a warning - this is NOT an official Red
> Hat supported repository. The packages have NOT gone through formal QA. If
> it breaks your RHEL-6.3 installation, you get to keep the pieces.
>
> This is the repo configuration I used:
> --------------------------
> [sssd-1.9-RHEL6.3]
> name=SSSD 1.9.x built for latest stable RHEL
> baseurl=http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/jhrozek/sssd/epel-6/$basearch/
> enabled=1
> skip_if_unavailable=1
> gpgcheck=0
>
> [sssd-1.9-RHEL6.3-source]
> name=SSSD 1.9.x built for latest stable RHEL - Source
> baseurl=http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/jhrozek/sssd/epel-6/SRPMS
> enabled=0
> skip_if_unavailable=1
> gpgcheck=0
> --------------------------
>
> Happy testing!

Hi,

First and foremost I wanted to thank all the users who have submitted their
bug reports, test results or any other form of feedback. We've managed
to identify several critical bugs in the 1.9.2 release we haven't seen
during our testing, in particular related to database upgrade or nested
group memberships. Thank you!

I have refreshed the repository with bits that are equivalent to
upstream 1.9.3 release and are quite close to what RHEL6.4 would be
shipping with.

Because RHEL6.4 is going to ship 1.9.2 + patches, we needed to maintain
a clean upgrade path from this repository to 6.4 final. So we chose
quite nonstandard release tag that contains upstream_1_9_3 to make it
clear you're running upstream 1.9.3 just with a funny name.

Upgrading from the previous builds in the same repo should be smooth as
well.

Fixing the nested group memberships required a little more processing
when saving the groups. So I wanted to ask the users who have reported
performance enhancements as compared with 1.8 to kindly check if the
new packages are still doing good performance wise.

Using the repository comes with a warning - this is NOT an official Red
Hat supported repository. The packages have NOT gone through formal QA.
Please proceed with caution.

Happy testing!