[SSSD] IPA client randomly lose memory of users

Qing Chang qchang at sri.utoronto.ca
Sun Dec 2 02:59:44 UTC 2012

On 30/11/2012 5:39 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-11-30 at 17:21 -0500, Qing Chang wrote:
>> my dovecot IMAP server would randomly lose memory of users, as an example:
>>
>> Samba/NFS server knows this user:
>> [root at smb2 shassan]# getent passwd bqiang
>> bqiang:*:47105:471:Beiping Qiang:/home2/bqiang:/bin/tcsh
>>
>> But dovecot server does not:
>> [root at dovecot2 ~]# getent passwd bqiang
>>
>> Only when I apply this:
>> [root at dovecot2 ~]# \rm /var/lib/sss/db/cache_sri.utoronto.ca.ldb
>> [root at dovecot2 ~]# service sssd restart
> Is it necessary to remove the ldb file, or does a simple restart 'fix'
> things ?
I could try that next time around when a user calls me, thought to clear the cache to be
sure...

>> It gets it:
>> [root at dovecot2 ~]# getent passwd bqiang
>> bqiang:*:47105:471:Beiping Qiang:/home2/bqiang:/bin/tcsh
>>
>> So far I have to deal with this for three users. It's quite possible
>> that there are more than 3 that are affected, they were just patient
>> enough to wait until dovecot "recovers its memory".
>>
>> =====
>> sssd.x86_64                      1.8.0-32.el6              @rhel-x86_64-server-6
>> sssd-client.x86_64               1.8.0-32.el6              @rhel-x86_64-server-6
>> =====
>>
>> Your help is much appreciated.
> Is it possible for you to raise the log level, or would that slow down
> your production environment too much ?
>
> In that case do you have any hints on how we could reproduce this
> issue ? Have you notice if it happens periodically, or after specific
> events ?
I have asked the users, who had this problem recurring, to call me, I'll turn on debug
log at that time.

BTW, to troubleshoot an unrelated problem, I set the debug level to 0xFFF0, is this
overkill?
=====
[nss]
debug_level = 0xFFF0