[SSSD] Support for subdomains - stage 1

Jakub Hrozek jhrozek at redhat.com
Tue Apr 3 23:53:06 UTC 2012

On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 10:07:00AM +0200, Jan Zeleny wrote:
> > > New ID-related config options for subdomains, these have to be present
> > > because IPA provider doesn't provide these values and defaults need to
> > > be implemented. Having defaults on the responder level didn't seem right
> > > since the policy might differ for each domain.
> >
> > Nack.
> >
> > I don't think this really makes sense at all. In most cases, users will
> > prefer to use the value on the LDAP server. If they choose to override
> > it, they'll do so through the existing override options (in the case of
> > override_homedir, it already has %d available anyway.
> >
> > We definitely don't need separate handling for shells. I can *kind of*
> > see a value if you wanted to have only subdomains have a non-default
> > location. I'm not sure I like that though. I feel like it's probably
> > more complexity than we need.
>
> I think you possibly missed the point. The point is that this information is
> NOT on the server, therefore we need a value that will fill it in. Otherwise
> only a blank field will be stored in sysdb and returned to the client

Returning an empty string for user shell is perfectly valid, the shell then
defaults to system default (/bin/sh usually). But we already reopened
the override ticket anyway..

Doesn't the existing homedir override work even with no shell? I just
tested the override work when ldap_user_home_directory is set to an
attribute that doesn't exist.