[SSSD] SSSD + CYRUS/IMAP + LDAP + NSS caching = constantly growing sssd_be memory usage?

Jakub Hrozek jhrozek at redhat.com
Sun Oct 23 11:28:40 UTC 2011

Hello Mark,

Thank you very much for the report!

I found a couple of memory leaks in our internal cache that
might be causing the issue. They are now being tracked in
https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/ticket/1051 and a patch is already on the list.

On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 09:50:37PM -0400, Mark London wrote:
>    Dmitri - I added valgrind to the sssd_be command, and didn't get any error
>    messages except for a bunch of these messages:

Running valgrind with sssd is not really trivial. The right approach is
to use the (undocumented) parameter "command" to override how sssd_be is
spawned. The default that sssd monitor would use for your domain is
"/usr/libexec/sssd/sssd_be --domain PSFC". To include valgrind, one
would use this in sssd.conf:

command = valgrind --leak-check=full /usr/libexec/sssd/sssd_be --domain PSFC

I'm still going through the leaks reported by valgrind. There may be
some more in the internal resolver, some just appear to be false
positives.

>    ==30135== Warning: invalid file descriptor -1 in syscall close()
>
>    I believe these are minor, according to what I've read on the web.
>
>    Here's another question.  When I turn on debugging, I get the following
>    log files:
>
>    -rw------- 1 root root      208 Oct 22 21:36 sssd.log
>    -rw------- 1 root root 30970503 Oct 22 17:27 sssd_nss.log
>    -rw------- 1 root root  1913856 Oct 22 17:27 sssd_pam.log
>    -rw------- 1 root root        0 Oct 22 16:58 sssd_PSFC.log
>
>    My domain is PSFC, yet the sssd_PSFC.log file is empty.  Is that normal to
>    be empty, even with debug set to 10?  I believe that's the log file that
>    the sssd_be process logs to.
>
>    - Mark

I would suspect that this is a side effect of adding valgrind to the
sssd_be parameters. Does this still happen if you revert to the
defaults? If so, can you paste the output of "ps -ef | grep sss"?