[SSSD] Fast reply - offline

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Fri Oct 7 11:43:57 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-10-07 at 09:47 +0200, Ondrej Valousek wrote:
> On 10/06/2011 06:34 PM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> > Well, the real issue here is that the openldap client libraries that
> > we're using are returning a generic error instead of reporting that the
> > connection was terminated.
> So shall I open a RFE against openldap then?

I'll take care of that sometime soon.

> > We don't really want to implement an internal timeout (we actually
> > retain the connection on purpose, so we don't have to go through the
> > slow ldap bind on every request). What we want is to be able to notice
> > that we received an idle disconnect from the server and reconnect
> > (rather than doing what we do now, which is treat it as if the server
> > has become unavailable and fail over to the next one).
> I do not think this is the best approach - imagine 100+ client
> machines bound simultaneously to the single LDAP server. It can easily
> run out of resources.
> I am also not saying we should close the connection after each
> request. We should probably close it actively if being idle for some
> time.
> I know that for example automounter does not keep the connection open
> for this purpose.

Yeah, I'm convinced that we need to allow a configurable idle timeout
for the SSSD LDAP connections. Please log an enhancement ticket upstream
at https://fedorahosted.org/sssd if you have a Fedora account. If not,
feel free to file a bug on whichever distro is appropriate, and post it
here.