[SSSD] autofs support

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Thu Nov 3 11:38:28 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-11-03 at 09:44 +0100, Ondrej Valousek wrote:

> > Not yet, it's planned for 1.8 and we're currently working on 1.7.
> >
> > Patches welcome, though :-)
> I am willing to, sure, but I do not want start coding from the
> scratch.. Ok then, I will wait.

Just for the record, this is only tentatively planned for 1.8. I'm not
sure it won't get deferred.

This effort is partly dependent on the automount upstream providing us
with an interface to plug into (currently, no such interface exists).
Automount in its present incarnation provides its own LDAP driver
internally. It does not actually use nss_ldap/nss-pam-ldapd; it just
[ab]uses their configuration files to prime its internal LDAP
functionality.

In truth, I'm not sure there's a huge value here to do anything with
SSSD. The caching isn't terribly useful, since if LDAP is unavailable,
there's a very strong likelihood that your NFS server won't be reachable
either (since the 90% case is that the network is down).

So it may be that we just teach automount to [ab]use the SSSD
configuration file to control its LDAP driver and leave it at that.