[SSSD] Another newbie request for help

Vic Watson vic.watson at ericsson.com
Thu Mar 24 15:21:21 UTC 2011

> Can you please provide more details about the use case for Samba in this
> situation?

I've got a bunch of users that sit in front of Windows desktops. They run applications on a Linux box.

Moving data to and from the server is typically by way of dragging files to an explorer window - with samba being the transit that actually does the transfer.

> It might be that for your use case you should be using windbind instead
> of SSSD.

That would be unfortunate; I've got sssd running and doing all the authentication properly. Logins are fine. Apache authenticates against it. The only service not yet coping is samba. It would be decidedly messy to have to get winbind running (if I can, even - corporate politics abound in these situations) to duplicate the functionality I'm getting ffrom sssd for everything else.

Vic.