[SSSD] new ldap users inconsistently able to auth on existing servers

Jeff Schroeder jeffschroeder at computer.org
Fri Jun 17 21:37:25 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 2:12 PM, Johnny Tan <jt at renttherunway.com> wrote:
> I recently setup sssd (sssd-1.2.1-39.el5) in our environment. We have
> an LDAP server running openldap-servers-2.3.43-12.el5_5.2.x86_64.
>
> It seems that certain users can't authenticate to certain servers. All
> servers have identical sssd.conf, nsswitch.conf, and system-auth-ac
> files (pushed by puppet). I haven't yet found a pattern as to which
> users and which servers, as it seems to be random.
... snip ...

> My own hypothesis is that the successful auth is using cached
> credentials (since jt has logged in previously), but the failed one is
> from a user that has not successfully logged into the server. But if
> I'm correct, what I don't get is why sssd cannot pull information from
> the LDAP provider. It's online and serving out requests, and the
> failed user on this machine has successfully logged in for the first
> time on a couple other servers in the same timeframe.
>
> Thoughts?
> johnny

Can you reproduce this? If you can, login as a separate user such as
yourself or root and run something like:
getent passwd faileduser at LDAP
getent group groupthatfailedusershouldbein at LDAP

It might very well be something related to the cache cleanup bug I've
ran into with that exact same version of sssd (RHEL 5.6 perhaps?)

--
Jeff Schroeder

Don't drink and derive, alcohol and analysis don't mix.
http://www.digitalprognosis.com