[SSSD] Question about sssd and dns

Marco Pizzoli marco.pizzoli at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 18:09:30 UTC 2011

Hi,
I started to look at the documentation of FreeIPA and SSSD.
Now I'm curious to know about the relationship between sssd and the dns
servers.

As I can see, obviously, the deployment of all windows-style services are
led by a query/response by sssd to dns servers, possibly directly to the
FreeIPA dns server.
When deploying sssd I have to configure the resolv.conf file. Is hereafter
sssd the only service which is *required* to use that file?

I'm thinking to the unix/linux farm of my office in which, by taking a
weighted choice, they decided to not use the dns servers, relying only on
/etc/hosts files.

If you confirm this, do you think it would be a good idea the filing of a
feature request asking to have an option for sssd to choose the resolv.conf
file to point to?
So I could use a file called, for example, "/etc/resolv.conf.FreeIPA". So I
can be sure that no other services will use that dns's.

Thanks in advance
Marco