[SSSD] Building for Red Hat/CentOS 4

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Fri Dec 16 20:38:39 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-12-16 at 21:34 +0100, Juan Asensio Sánchez wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am trying to build SSSD in Red Hat 4U5 (perhaps something
> impossible), but when I try to run "make rpms", as the howto says, I
> get this error:
>
> [root at rh4 sssd.git]# LANG=C make rpms
> make: *** No rule to make target `rpms'.  Stop.
>
> I have no much experience compiling packages, but I have revised
> Makefile.am ans there is a section about building that rule:
>
> rpms: dist-gzip rpmroot
>         cp $(builddir)/contrib/sssd.spec $(RPMBUILD)/SPECS
>         cp $(distdir).tar.gz $(RPMBUILD)/SOURCES
>         cd $(RPMBUILD); \
>         rpmbuild --define "_topdir $(RPMBUILD)" -ba SPECS/sssd.spec
>
> Perhaps I need a more recent version of compiling tools?
>
> Regards and thanks in advance.

Building SSSD on RHEL 4 isn't really supported (I'm not sure if all of
the necessary dependencies will be available). At minimum, you're going
to need to build ding-libs first. You'll also need to either build
libunistring or pass the --with-unicode-lib=glib2 to configure.

The problem you're having is that you're attempting to build without
first running autoreconf and configure.

Try doing 'autoreconf -if && ./configure' before doing 'make rpms'

There are going to be many more hurdles, I'm sure. Feel free to join
#sssd on irc.freenode.net if you want to communicate with the developers
more quickly (though at this particular hour on a Friday, you're
probably better off waiting until Monday for that).