[SSSD] GSOC 2011 : SUDO in SSSD

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Tue Apr 26 12:36:12 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-04-26 at 04:52 +0530, arun scaria wrote:
> Dear Stephen,
>
>           I'm so thrilled that i got in. Thanks for your faith in me.

We're glad to have you with us. It's going to be an exciting summer!

>  So whats the next step? Do I need to take any official procedures. I
> hope we don't want to wait for the official call.

There's no need to wait for the official call, no. If you're ready to
get started, let's not allow bureaucracy to stand in the way. I'm also a
first-time mentor, so I'm learning the process along with you.

> I installed fedora 15 alpha on my machine. I hope i need to hang
> around there to get an idea about how it works.
>

>            Anyway I've some doubts. How should i contact you? Through
> mail or IRC.

It's a good idea to hang out in IRC whenever you're working on SSSD.
There are usually SSSD devs active in there between 0500 and 1800 EST
(we have devs in Germany and the Czech Republic, as well as in the USA).

Ideally, all design discussions should happen on the sssd-devel mailing
list, so they're saved for future reference. We'll also want you to set
up a Fedora Account so you can use the SSSD Trac wiki for your design
documents.

I'm CCing the sssd-devel list on this reply, so please continue this
discussion there.

> Is there any need to be highly formal while in SSSD channel?

Not at all. Most of us are highly informal :)

> Is there any documents or related technologies I need to follow in
> order to understand the SSSD source?

The biggest two would be:
http://www.freeipa.org/page/IPA_Client_Design_Overview
This gives a high-level overview of how the SSSD is designed (it's a
little out of date now, but still mostly correct)

Also
http://blogs.fedoraproject.org/wp/sgallagh/2010/03/17/why-you-should-use-talloc-for-your-next-project/
will give you a quick primer in talloc, the hierarchical memory
allocator that we use in the SSSD.

There's also
https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/wiki/Backends101
which will give you a little bit of a view on how the backends are
implemented (though the example there is more about writing a new
backend for the existing provider types, while you're going to be
writing a new provider type).

Welcome aboard!