[SSSD] Questions about sssd-krb5

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Wed May 26 11:27:14 UTC 2010

On 05/26/2010 03:20 AM, David O'Brien wrote:

> ok, in this case I'd be more inclined to write, "If you use krb5 as the
> authentication provider in an SSSD domain,..." (rather than using the
> "key=value" format) because the tone of these types of passages is
> slightly more conversational. Here I tend to steer away from "if
> option=value and bool=true then set x=10". Easy to read and understand
> if you deal with it on a daily basis, but I don't think that's the
> primary audience of man pages and definitely not user doc.

Oh, I agree. I was just using shorthand above :)

>>> "... the following options must be used."
>>>     - Is krb5_kpasswd an exception to this? That is, if the change
>>> password service *is* running on the KDC, then there is no reason or
>>> requirement to define alternative servers, right? In the example that I
>>> have in the user doc (see bottom of page), isn't this defined as follows:
>>>

>> This is not a mandatory option. I think we probably want to change that
>> sentence to "the following options MAY be used". There's actually a fair
>> amount of changes we probably need to make to the manpages. I'll try to
>> list the important things below:
>
> Should I wait for the appropriate person to make the required changes to
> the man pages (from a technical perspective) so that I can then review
> them from an English and readability angle? That will also reduce the
> number of times I reproduce errors, etc., in the man pages in the user doc.

Yeah, I think it's probably a good idea to open a ticket to have
engineering go through that for accuracy, and then have you wordsmith
it. Could you open an upstream Trac ticket and assign it to Jakub, please?

> Lastly, for all those options with "standard" or "sensible" defaults,
> how do I find out what they are?

The manpages should already list defaults for any that have them. If it
has a default, engineering has vetted it as either "standard" (where
such exists) or "sensible" (where no standard is written) :)

--
Stephen Gallagher
RHCE 804006346421761

Delivering value year after year.