[SSSD] Documenting the SSSD local domain, management tools, etc

David O'Brien davido at redhat.com
Wed May 19 12:24:06 UTC 2010

Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> On May 19, 2010, at 4:51 AM, Jakub Hrozek <jhrozek at redhat.com> wrote:

>> On 05/19/2010 01:04 AM, David O'Brien wrote:
>>> Recently it was recommended that I not include the LOCAL domain,
>>> nested
>>> groups, and related functionality in the end-user doc (limiting it to
>>> the man pages). This raises the following issue:
>>>
>>> There is a section in the draft doc at present, "Using the SSSD
>>> Management Tools", which includes info on working with users, groups,
>>> nested groups, examples, etc., all of which will disappear if we
>>> remove
>>> LOCAL domains from the topic list. Is this what we want? I know we're
>>> moving towards the "SSSD functions transparently in the b/g when
>>> needed"
>>> approach, but I want to double-check before I remove this section
>>> (about
>>> 2 pages).
>>>
>>> Thanks
>> Right now the local domain plus the management tools are usable
>> primarily for testing, their only benefit is nested groups.
>>
>> I vote for not documenting them in the deployment guide, but leaving
>> the
>> documentation in the SSSD sources (manpages, config file example..)
>
> I agree.

ok, sounds like a plan.

Can I ask for a real-world example or two to replace:
Working with Users
- Adding a new user
- Requesting user information

Ditto for Groups

I guess the Nested Group section will just disappear...

I'd just like to have *something* there that illustrates SSSD in action,
something that's easy for a user to try and verify.

All the man pages, etc., I intended to leave as-is.

Thanks a lot.

--

David O'Brien
Senior Technical Writer, Engineering Content Services

"We couldn't care less about comfort. We make you feel good."
Federico Minoli CEO Ducati Motor S.p.A.