[SSSD] Forking "Common" into a separate git repository

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Thu Jul 29 22:08:40 UTC 2010

Hello,

Stephen an I have been discussing the split for a while.
When we were starting the SSSD we acknowledged that the time for
splitting out the tools part into a separate repository would come.
It seems this is the time. The versions of the tools released in 1.2.1
are pretty stable and there are no requirements for changes in them
until 1.5. So to avoid SSSD 1.3 and 1.4 dragging along the incomplete
enhancements we suggest that we create a separate repository for
everything that is currently under "common". This move would allow
separate schedules for development of those. It will also allow better
access control and patch submission process for the tools under
"common". It will also remove pressure for the review of the interim
patches until it is time to integrate.

This is not forking of the project. It is just a creation of the second
repository under the project (at least for now).
We will continue to use this list and same trac instance to track tasks
since the tools have more relation to SSSD than previously forked out
ELAPI project.

Here is the detailed plan:
* Stephen will finish with 1.2.2 and 1.3 releases early next week
* Stephen will create a new repository and move the code there, apply
the pending patches and create per library spec files later next week.
* Dmitri will create new milestones in the trac and move the tools
related tickets to the newly created buckets.

Comments welcome!

--
Thank you,
Dmitri Pal