[SSSD] About caching of users and group information.

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Fri Jan 22 01:03:53 UTC 2010

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 19:50:04 -0500
Simo Sorce <ssorce at redhat.com> wrote:

> The Last login date can be used to decide when to delete a user
> account from the cache. This is not the same as the expiration date,
> the expiration date is used to decide when it is time to refresh the
> data even if we have it. So if the user data is expired, and the last
> login date is X days in the past, we can decide to remove the user
> from the cache without having to check the central authority (the
> LDAP server).

I forgot one bit here.
We might decide to check also if the user is currently logged in. I can
imagine a case where a user suspends the laptop for a few days and
un-suspends later while offline.
I think it would be bad form to wipe out the user data while the user
is still working on the computer :)

If I recall correctly we already have code to check if a user is
currently logged in, so this shouldn't be difficult to account for.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York