[SSSD] help with git pull sssd?

David O'Brien davido at redhat.com
Tue Jan 12 01:54:16 UTC 2010

Stephen Gallagher wrote:

> On 01/11/2010 12:57 AM, David O'Brien wrote:
>> I'd like to review and update a couple of man pages but want to update
>> my repo first.
>>
>> [daobrien at daobrien sssd (master)]$ git pull
>> ssh://obriend@git.fedorahosted.org/sssd.git
>> Enter passphrase for key '/home/daobrien/.ssh/id_rsa':
>> fatal: protocol error: bad line length character
>>
>> I've no idea what this might mean or what to do about it. Can anyone help?
>>
>> thanks
>

> This looks to me like you did your initial 'git clone' incorrectly. You
> shouldn't be trying to use ssh to connect to our git repository, as you
> have no commit access.
>
> Your best bet would be to do a proper anonymous checkout with the command:
> git clone git://git.fedorahosted.org/git/sssd.git
> as described on https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/wiki/Contribute
>
> Then work in this new checkout and create patches from there.
>
> - --
> Stephen Gallagher
> RHCE 804006346421761

hmm well that's what I did the first time (here's the command from the
history list)
git clone git://git.fedorahosted.org/sssd.git

So far I've only reviewed and patched one man page (a couple of weeks
ago) and that went ok, and now I'm trying to do sssd-ldap(5). I've
recloned anyway, as you suggested, and I'll see how we go from here.

Unless I really don't grok git (quite possible), I should be able to do
a git pull on this clone at any time and get the latest man page updates
(along with everything else), right?

thanks

--

David O'Brien
Senior Technical Writer, Engineering Content Services

http://freeipa.org/page/DocumentationPortal
http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/ipadocs.git

He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains
a fool forever."
  ~ Chinese proverb