[SSSD] About doxygen

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Thu Feb 25 15:13:23 UTC 2010

On 02/25/2010 10:03 AM, Dmitri Pal wrote:
> Hi Stephen,
>
> Several questions regarding the doxygen.
> I managed to download, build and configure it on CSB to use with
> collection library. Moving on so:
> 1) Should the version of the library mentioned in configure.ac match the
> doc version - I think they should
> 2) HTML + man pages is what we need, right?
> 3) How you see it being built? Automatic as a build target "make docs"
> and be integrated into the build or manually using "make docs" or
> manually using doxygen directly?
> 4)  Are we going to check in  the doxygen configuration and generated
> doc output? If so where? What should be the directory structure?
> 5) Should the doxygen be a build requirement?
> 6) Should I create a separate source file(s) to have the tags and
> descriptions rather than generate the docs from the real reader files so
> that the headers are clear from tags?
>
> There might be more...

I can't speak for Stephen and don't presume to, but here are my
thoughts. I think the doc should be built automatically as part of the
rpm build process. I would suggest adding "make doc" to the %build part
of the spec. Yes, this does mean the spec will need a buildRequires on
doxygen. The doxygen config file should be checked into git. The doc
generated by %build should be installed in the spec file in the %install
section in %{docdir}. Depending on the size you may want to include this
in separate doc subpackage, otherwise it should be part of the devel
subpackage. The reason to always build it is because then it's always
current acurately reflecting the sources. The extra cycles to build the
doc during an rpmbuild is minimal compared to the benefits.

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>

Looking to carve out IT costs?
www.redhat.com/carveoutcosts/