[SSSD] Multi-line values in INI

Jeff Schroeder jeffschroed at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 15:46:02 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 8:09 AM, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 04/15/2010 11:07 AM, Tomas Mraz wrote:
>> On Thu, 2010-04-15 at 09:23 -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
>>> Can we please come at this issue from the right direction? The reason
>>> that this is even being debated is because we learned of another program
>>> (certmonger) that is using INI files to store binary data.
>>>
>>> THIS IS WRONG.

>>> In conclusion: I think attempting to solve the newline/escape problem in
>>> libini_config itself is both too complex and too limiting. It is more
>>> complexity being added to the libini_config than a simple INI file
>>> parser needs to have, and by implementing any particular approach to
>>> managing the data, we are limiting is usability to only those use-cases
>>> that we can come up with.
>>
>> Not that I am really part of the SSSD project, but +1 from me anyway.
>> Very sensible reasoning.
>>

> Actually, input from outside our project is probably more valuable. We
> intend for libini_config to be available for use by any project that
> wants it.

Alright well corner cases and "magic" handling of multiline stuff
seems wrong. Be dumb about it and let the caller of your library
figure some of that out. If someone wants to store binary data in an
ini file, let them. That seems slightly insane, but it is their app.
That doesn't mean you should hack up your library because your users
want to do stupid things.

--
Jeff Schroeder

Don't drink and derive, alcohol and analysis don't mix.
http://www.digitalprognosis.com