[SSSD] Multi-line values in INI

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Wed Apr 14 14:41:08 UTC 2010

Jeff Schroeder wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 9:05 PM, Dmitri Pal <dpal at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> [snip]
>>

>> I had a long discussion with John about this at the end of the day.
>> I think that we managed to come to some other consensus.
>> If I got it right the rules of thumb are the following:
>> a) Do not invent new meaning for the  characters that are already used
>> to have some other special meaning. Be consistent with use and meaning
>> of the characters.
>> b) Do not invent new syntax. Pick one of the exiting ones.
>>

> One of which existing ones? Are you going to be using ini such as
> RFC822 or are you making up something new? NIH is in general a bad
> policy.

RFC822 is limiting, it does not allow for a way to express the use cases
that I want to support:
a) Folding lines without preserving <NL>
b) Folding lines with preserving <NL>

I am looking for something that would allow me to do this.
If you know how to express these two cases using rules defined in 822 I
am all ears.
If not I am looking for some solution that would be least confusing.
I am not aware of any other RFC. If you do please point me to the right
direction.

So this effort is to try to identify a convention that seems logical and
intuitive to use and can handle these two use cases.

--
Thank you,
Dmitri Pal

Engineering Manager IPA project,