[SSSD] SSSD, chkconfig, and /etc/rc.d/init.d/

David O'Brien davido at redhat.com
Fri Oct 23 08:17:30 UTC 2009

David O'Brien wrote:
> When you install sssd, you can start and stop it with the service
> command. It also appears in chkconfig --list so you can use that to
> configure it to start at boot time or not (default is not). It doesn't,
> however, appear in /etc/rc.d/init.d/ along with lots of other services.
>
> Should it? afaik (which on this topic is not a lot) the service command
> is limited to only a few systems (rhel/fedora and their offspring?) For
> other systems, you need to use the rc.d/init.d/ path to start and stop
> services.
>
> Maybe we need to add it manually? I'm on the verge of saying "Not RHEL
> or Fedora so I don't care", but I'm curious.
>
> thanks
ok, I stuffed up.

/etc/init.d/sssd start|stop|status...  works fine. Apologies for the noise.

I guess I need to work out what the rc.d dir is for.

--

David O'Brien
Red Hat Asia Pacific

http://freeipa.org/page/DocumentationPortal
http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/ipadocs.git

"The most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when
one will do."
     Thomas Jefferson