[SSSD] LDAP and password management

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Mon Oct 5 11:53:43 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-05 at 11:31 +0200, Sumit Bose wrote:
> Hi,
>
> there are two schemes of password management with LDAP servers
> - the LDAP server supports attributes like 'shadowLastChange',
>   'shadowExpire' etc to store the relevant information at a central
>   storage, but the evaluation is done on the client
> - the server supports password policies (see
>   http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-behera-ldap-password-policy-10 )
>   and all management and evaluation is done on the server side.
>
> My question is whether we shall support the first one as a 'legacy'
> option (pam_ldap does), or if we should only implement to the second
> one?

We should certainly support the latter, but I don't like the former
schema much.

> Btw. I think currently the LDAP component of IPA supports none of the
> above.

IPA uses the kerberos schema to set expiration time (same kind of checks
you may do against the shadow schema), and in v2 Rob has been working to
integrate with the 389DS password policy engine.
In any case we are planning to support the Behera draft in the future.

Maybe we could have some generic code that can check either the classic
shadow schema or the krb attibutes by means of simply configuring the
attributes to check and the time format used ?

Simo.