[SSSD] What does "Unable to register control with rootdse" mean?

David O'Brien davido at redhat.com
Mon Nov 9 05:27:31 UTC 2009

I've been playing around with having domains and services configured and
not, just to see how sssd behaves. What does this mean? Is it indicative
of something specific that I should be including in the doc?

[root at alice ~]# sssd -d4
[sssd] [ldb] (3): server_sort:Unable to register control with rootdse!

sssd requires both at least one configured domain and one service before
it will start. That is, using the local SSSD domain database  provider
you still need either NSS or PAM enabled before sssd will even start.
(This may fall under the heading of "well, d'uh", but I'm just a
beginner  ;) )

thanks a lot
--

David O'Brien
Red Hat Asia Pacific

http://freeipa.org/page/DocumentationPortal
http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/ipadocs.git

"The most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when
one will do."
     Thomas Jefferson