[SSSD] what is sbus_timeout?

David O'Brien davido at redhat.com
Thu Nov 5 01:15:38 UTC 2009

Jenny Galipeau wrote:
> Simo Sorce wrote:

>>> We really need to rename this option to something more comprehensible.
>>> It is only used for two actions in the SSSD code:
>>>
>>> 1) When sending a heartbeat ping to the monitor's child processes, if
>>> the child does not respond with it's pong within the sbus_timeout, it is
>>> considered to be hung.
>>>
>>> 2) When the monitor wants to order a child to shutdown (when the SSSD is
>>> shutting down, or when config changes are pushed live (future feature),
>>> this timeout is used to determine whether the child has received the
>>> shutdown command.
>>>
>>> So perhaps we should change the name to something like
>>> heartbeat_timeout and set the default to an explicit value.
>>>
>>> Opinions?
>>>

>>> A bit of history: Originally, we had intended this to be the default
>>> timeout for all inter-process communication in the SSSD, so that's why
>>> it was named sbus_timeout. As development progressed, we started
>>> deciding that nearly every separate call needed its own timeout value,
>>> and this setting became increasingly less usefully defined.
>>>
>> I'd prefer to keep it undocumented for now, and not see it in the
>> configuration files.
>> Most people wouldn't know how to set it properly anyways.
>>
>> Simo.
>>
> +1 ... most will not know, will not need to know and prolly should not
> know how to change - SBUS timeout.

ok, this appears to be at the stage where I won't doc it unless I get
asked, or someone raises a BZ.

fyi, there is already a "Terminology" section in the draft SSSD doc
where these things could go.

--

David O'Brien
Red Hat Asia Pacific

http://freeipa.org/page/DocumentationPortal
http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/ipadocs.git

"The most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when
one will do."
     Thomas Jefferson