[SSSD] contribution policy work

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Aug 31 22:27:20 UTC 2009

In the process of working on the FreeIPA contribution policy, I am
breaking out a separate discussion around SSSD.  The goal is to set a
contribution policy that the developers of SSSD are happy with, with
whatever caveats we have gathered from our lawyer friends.

Stephen has been looking in to the question of how to license SSSD
contributions, right?

I wanted to get us thinking about how to apply those eventual results
against a contribution policy.  Here are the two drafts I have written
for FreeIPA:

http://freeipa.org/page/User:Quaid/Contribution_policy_(draft)#License-specific_version
http://freeipa.org/page/User:Quaid/Contribution_policy_(draft)#License-agnostic_version

These are fairly close to being generic enough for use by another
project.  Both have an "acceptable" stamp from Richard Fontana,
depending on what the developers want.  The thread with more details
about why that policy is written that way is here:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/freeipa-devel/2009-August/msg00024.html

One thing I think is interesting here is, the lawyer is asking the
developers who know the current community, "What is right for you?"
I'm not sure if that is normal, but as a community organizer type, I
think it is approaching the question from the right direction. :)

- Karsten
http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41