[SSSD] Looking for a bit of advice

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Mon Aug 24 22:23:18 UTC 2009

Hi,

I am working on the next set of changes for ELAPI and have a question.
With some recent changes to the design the terminology looks like this:
target - a destination where the event is sent. Target consists of chain
of sinks in priority (fail over) order. So if one sink fails next sink
in the chain will be used.
Imagine now two sinks in the chain. The first sink is to write to the
file on the NFS and the second to write to the local file. They differ
in configuration but the code is the same for both sinks.
This brings to the notion of "provider". Provider is the implementation
(the code) to write to specific destination that can be configured in
different ways. The sink then a provider + configuration.
Also some of this can be read here:
https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/wiki/WikiPage/ELAPIInterface

Ok so not when we are clear (hopefully) on the terminology let me ask
the question.
Under directory that contains mail ELAPI code (which is
sssd/common/elapi) I plan to have sub directory named "providers". Under
it there will be directory for "file" provider, "syslog" provider,
"stderr" provider and other providers. Generally the providers should be
implemented as shared libraries and that will be the case. However per
Simo's suggestion I plan to embed the three basic providers: "file",
"syslog", "stderr" into the ELAPI library itself. This means that these
providers have to be built before I build the rest of ELAPI library and
its unit tests. Other (loadable) providers do not cause any dependency
on the core ELAPI code and can be built separately. So how should I
better organize the tree and build process.
I can:
a) Since the loadable libraries can be built independently they probably
should live in other part of the tree, right? Then does it make sense to
have the hierarchy that I plan? May I should just put all the code for
the basic providers into the elapi directory itself?
b) Another option is to keep this code structured as I plan but do not
have makefile.am and configure.ac in the subdirectories and build the
standard providers from within the elapi makefile.
c) Add makefile.am and configure.ac into the "provider" subdirectory and
individual provider directories, build independent libraries for each
provider and then use these libraries when I build elapi and its unit test.

The first option is the simplest but then I will have a mixture of file
prefixes in one directory. The source files that constitute core of
elapi start with "elapi_" but the providers start with provider name
like "file_provider.c", "stderr_provider.c" etc.
The second one does not seem to be inline with automake guidelines as
far as I understand them.
The third one is the most complex.

So which way should I go?

--