Building SCAP content on RHEL 5 ...

Trey Henefield trey.henefield at ultra-ats.com
Wed Mar 18 18:15:48 UTC 2015

Greetings,

I was curious to know if anyone has tried building SCAP content on RHEL 5? Given that the intention of the scap-security-guide rpm package is meant to be built individually on each platform (RHEL5, RHEL 6, RHEL 7, Fedora), I have attempted trying to build SCAP content on RHEL5.

I am running into all sorts of issues. Here's what I gathered so far:

1)      The following python files include 'with' statements, which are not supported by the latest version of Python on RHEL5 (2.4.3-56):

shared/transforms/combinechecks.py
shared/transforms/combinefixes.py
shared/transforms/cpe generate.py
shared/transforms/relabelids.py

I was able to work through these errors, using the suggested workaround here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2755849/python-invalid-syntax-with-with-statement

2)      The command 'xmlwf input/checks/*.xml' produces syntax errors for every file processed.

Example:

input/checks/system_info_architecture_x86.xml:1:0: syntax error

3)      When the errors above are corrected in item 1, another error is generated, which has me stumped:

../shared/transforms/relabelids.py unlinked-fedora-xccdf.xml ssg
  File "../shared/transforms/relabelids.py", line 62
   ovalfile = ovalfiles.pop() if ovalfiles else None
                                                     ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

There could be many more issues, but this is as far as I have gotten so far.

I am not much of a python guru so I was hoping someone else could chime in.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Trey Henefield, CISSP
Senior IAVA Engineer

Ultra Electronics
Advanced Tactical Systems, Inc.
4101 Smith School Road
Building IV, Suite 100
Austin, TX 78744 USA

Trey.Henefield at ultra-ats.com
Tel: +1 512 327 6795 ext. 647
Fax: +1 512 327 8043
Mobile: +1 512 541 6450

www.ultra-ats.com

Disclaimer
The information contained in this communication from trey.henefield at ultra-ats.com sent at 2015-03-18 14:15:56 is confidential and may be legally privileged.
It is intended solely for use by scap-security-guide at lists.fedorahosted.org and others authorized to receive it. If you are not scap-security-guide at lists.fedorahosted.org you are hereby notified that
any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking action in reliance of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.