Can you recommend a way how to share more detailed release changelog information via GitHub web UI?

Shawn Wells shawn at redhat.com
Thu Jan 15 21:53:53 UTC 2015

On 1/15/15 8:54 AM, Jan Lieskovsky wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
>    in effort to create new SCAP Security Guide v0.1.20 release and mainly
> trying to provide more detailed Changelog information, that would be
> reachable online (yet before the actual tarball has been downloaded &
> expanded) has been investigating GitHub web UI possibilities for this
> purpose.
>
> One approach how this could be implemented is to provide the Changelog
> information in the particular milestone's description. But the problem
> seems to be there isn't a direct link provided how such milestone's
> description could be referenced later.
>
> Example content is visible at:
> 1)https://github.com/OpenSCAP/scap-security-guide/milestones
>
>     to get the list of milestones
>
> 2) then click the "(more)" pseudo link below
>     "Version 0.1.20: USGCB profile remediation and kickstart support"
>     milestone to see the actual description.
>
>  From what I have searched looks this "(more)" pseudo link is handled
> by JavaScript (thus at the side of the client's browser) and it's not
> possible to use it for referential purposes.
>
> The vision behind future SCAP Security Guide updates is to provide
> also more detailed Changelog information for each release, basically
> split into three sections:
>
>    * New Features:
>
>    This not so much detailed section would be dedicated to briefly list
>    main new features expected to be provided in this release (like support
>    of new products etc.)
>
>    * Enhancements:
>
>    Here list of enhancements would be detailed (IOW enhancements for existing
>    products like new remediations or new OVAL checks).
>
>    * Bug fixes:
>
>    Here list of bug fixes would be described (which build failures / OVAL checks /
>    remediations have been corrected in this release).
>
> Given (after the short review so far) the GitHub's milestone's description doesn't
> seem to be providing functionality for this kind of "web Changelog" was thinking
> of creating new GitHub SCAP Security Guide wiki page for each of the new releases
> and detailing that information there.
>
> But prior doing that wanted to check experiences of other people / other ideas /
> suggestions, how this could be implemented.
>
> Comments / recommendations / experience / proposals welcome.

Between v0.1.19 and v0.1.20:
https://github.com/OpenSCAP/scap-security-guide/compare/v0.1.19...v0.1.20

v0.1.20 through current/MASTER:
https://github.com/OpenSCAP/scap-security-guide/compare/v0.1.20...master
/(note: since nothing was committed since this morning, nothing will be
here)/

Or from the CLI, you can do something like:
> $ git log --pretty=format:"%h - %an : %s" v0.1.19..v0.1.20
> 1bb6240 - iankko : Merge pull request #382 from iankko/version_0.1.20
> 3de0fae - Jan Lieskovsky : Make new 0.1.20 release
> 2de0a05 - Martin Preisler : Merge pull request #381 from
> iankko/pam_faillock_deny_fix_oval
> 45792dd - Jan Lieskovsky : [shared]
> accounts_passwords_pam_faillock_deny OVAL check:
> a806cad - Jan Lieskovsky : [shared] Modify OVAL check for
> accounts_passwords_pam_faillock_deny rule to require exact setting
> from second ex
> 973ab2b - Martin Preisler : Merge pull request #378 from
> iankko/rhel6_audit_privileged_cmds
> 9066343 - Martin Preisler : Merge pull request #376 from
> iankko/rhel6_nodev_nonroot_partitions
> 4546de2 - Jan Lieskovsky : [BugFix] [RHEL/6] Fix remediation script
> for audit_rules_privileged_commands to properly handle also case when m
> e24a208 - Jan Lieskovsky : [RHEL/6]
> mount_option_nodev_nonroot_local_partitions remediation: * Add reboot
> required NOTE per Shawn's recomme
> 236cb35 - Shawn Wells : Merge pull request #377 from
> iankko/rhel7_mismatched_tag

If we enforce tagging PR's with labels, such as "feature" vs "bugfix" we
can then query based upon that information as well.