[Open-scap] Windows support in OpenSCAP and SCAP Workbench

Shawn Wells shawn at redhat.com
Sat Feb 21 02:33:57 UTC 2015

On 2/19/15 4:41 AM, Martin Preisler wrote:
> [...]

+∞, 👏👏👏

> Thanks. I was surprised how easy it was to port.
>
>> I second to Simon. Looks very nice. Great work!
>>
>> Do we already know a way how this will get shipped? Is there a plan
>> to build also MS Windows zips for each upcoming OpenSCAP / scap-workbench
> I plan to make a proper MSI installer for workbench releases in the future.
> For the super early testing phase I will just provide zips because creating
> the installer is a lot of added complexity I don't need right now.
>
> Not sure if plain OpenSCAP windows binaries are useful at this stage. The
> plan is to ship workbench with openscap bundled inside.
>
> Do you think oscap.exe with no evaluation support is useful?

Incredibly useful!

Many within the US Gov are using Windows desktops. This gives them a GUI
tool to tailor their content and either SCP it back to their server or
throw it into RHN Satellite. HUGE usability improvement!

Also, having a "OpenSCAP for Windows v1" that only does content
tailoring is still very worthwhile. This would allow customers to get
the Windows build on their approved product list (which frequently takes
forever!), ensuring that when v1.future or v2.0 comes out, the software
is already a known entity.