Red Hat 6 STIG Benchmark - Version 1, Release 8 - Online Remediation

Shawn Wells shawn at redhat.com
Mon Aug 24 23:21:17 UTC 2015

On 8/24/15 6:34 PM, Meinecke, Lee wrote:

> I'm running the latest openscap and scap-workbench for RHEL6 using Red
> Hat repositories. If I feed the workbench the XCCDF file from DISA
> (http://iasecontent.disa.mil/stigs/zip/July2015/U_RedHat_6_V1R8_STIG_SCAP_1-1_Benchmark.zip)
> and ask for online remediation I'm not getting any fixes.
>
> Does this remediation functionality exist or is the benchmark content
> lacking? I can't seem to get that working.

DISA FSO opts to strip remediation content/capabilities out from the
content Red Hat gives them. In part this makes sense: DISA FSO's
intention is to provide pass/fail content, anything beyond that is a
distraction for them.

> I've been using hardening scripts from
> https://github.com/fcaviggia/hardening-script-el6​ but without
> commenting out some things those scripts are stricter than needed.

The project you mention has caused more misinformation and confusion
than usefulness. That project has no ties to Red Hat, DISA, and while
perhaps using the STIG for inspiration, its hardening settings are
largely arbitrary and places systems into an unknown compliance state.

If you're seeking embedded remediation, consider using SCAP Security
Guide directly (shipping in RHEL as the "scap-security-guide" package,
or upstream content on GitHub). SSG ships in RHEL and serves as the
upstream for what Red Hat gives DISA FSO as part of the Vendor STIG
Process.

You might also find NSA's SIMP project interesting, which fuses
SSG+Puppet+MCollective and other things. You can find their project here:
https://github.com/simp