RHEL 7 Direction

Shawn Wells shawn at redhat.com
Fri Oct 3 23:08:55 UTC 2014

On 10/3/14, 3:31 PM, Crawford, Nicholas P CTR USARMY CERDEC (US) wrote:

> Greetings,
>

> I had a couple of questions about the direction the RHEL 7 SSG will be
> going;
>

> Particularly with the below new subsystems in 7;
>
>  gconf vs dconf (GNOME 2 vs GNOME 3)
>
>     Has there been a decision on how to check and remediate with dconf?
>  iptables vs firewalld
>
>     Has there been a decision on which method will go forward for
> check / remediation?
>  chrony vs ntpd
>
>     Has there been a decision on which to use and which will go
> forward for check / remediation?

Actually, there hasn't been much conversation on this. Thanks for
starting the conversation!

IMO, we should start with system defaults as first/primary goal, then
enable secondary configs in future passes. aka, address firewalld first
then iptables.

If we're able to get both done at the same time, then great -- but focus
should be on system default first.

What does everyone think of such an approach?