Running a scan for a single rule in opens cap?

Simon Lukasik isimluk at fedoraproject.org
Sat May 24 15:55:44 UTC 2014

On 05/24/2014 05:45 PM, Greg Elin wrote:
> Is it possible from command line to run a single rule test with opens
> cap...and even better pipe the output?
>
> The only way I can figure to run a single test is to create a profile
> with a single rule.

Often times a single XCCDF Rule corresponds with a single OVAL
definition. In such cases there is an easy way to evaluate single oval
definition:

     oscap oval eval --id my:def:id --results debug-results.xml oval.xml

In other cases, i.e. when you still need the XCCDF part to debug, I am
afraid there is no easy answer (XCCDF standard wise). What values would
be bound to the variables? How would the TestResult on output look like?

The only thing I can advice you is to use tailoring file, if you wish to
avoid editing your XCCDF document.

Best regards,

--
Simon Lukasik