OpenSCAP Error: Conversion of the string "-" to an integer (64 bits) failed: Invalid argument [oval_cmp.c:113]

Jackson, George C III CTR DISA PEO-MA (US) george.c.jackson1.ctr at mail.mil
Fri May 23 18:51:31 UTC 2014

Hi all, I've seen reference to this on this and other lists but no
acceptable resolution.

Per documentation, I downloaded and installed the following:

openscap-content-1.0.8-1.el6_5.noarch
perl-Pod-Escapes-1.04-136.el6.x86_64
openscap-1.0.8-1.el6_5.x86_64
scap-security-guide-0.1-16.el6.noarch
openscap-utils-1.0.8-1.el6_5.x86_64
python-lxml-2.2.3-1.1.el6.x86_64

Using the command in the User Guide, after running:

oscap xccdf eval --profile stig-rhel6-server-upstream \
--results /tmp/`hostname`-ssg-results.xml \
--report /tmp/`hostname`-ssg-results.html \
--cpe /usr/share/xml/scap/ssg/content/ssg-rhel6-cpe-dictionary.xml \
/usr/share/xml/scap/ssg/content/ssg-rhel6-xccdf.xml

I get valid output for about 225 CCE checks but then error out with:

OpenSCAP Error: Conversion of the string "-" to an integer (64 bits) failed:
Invalid argument [oval_cmp.c:113]

I can confirm this is coming from the check for disabling coredumps in the
limits.conf file by having replacing

* - core 0

with

* hard core 0

which resulted in:

OpenSCAP Error: Conversion of the string "hard" to an integer (64 bits)
failed: Invalid argument [oval_cmp.c:113]

I went back and downloaded the scap-security-guide 0.5 source and
compiled/installed. The doc says rhel6-xccdf-scap-security-guide.xml and
rhel6-oval-scap-security-guide.xml would be produced from the make but I
didn't find any. I did find the ssg xccdf and cpe files from
scap-security-guide/RHEL6/dist/content so used those and got:

Profile "stig-rhel6-server-upstream" was not found.

Re-running again with server and stig-server profiles instead gave:

OpenSCAP Error: Selector ID(ensure_logrotate_activated) does not exist in
Benchmark. [xccdf_policy.c:1904]

after running a few valid checks.

Am I missing a step somewhere?

Thanks,