SCC (UNCLASSIFIED)

Shaw, Ray V CTR USARMY ARL (US) ray.v.shaw.ctr at mail.mil
Fri May 9 13:28:18 UTC 2014

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

I remember that there were issues with the SSG content and RHEL6 (due to SCC
not supporting a sufficient version of...XCCDF?  SCAP?).  But previously, I
could still use SCC with the SSG content; it would just generate a few more
false positives than using OpenSCAP.  Admittedly, it has been a while since
I tried.

Now, when trying SCC 3.1.2, I can't make it run at all.  After importing the
zip file (generated from git) and selecting the stig-rhel6-server-upstream
profile, a scan finishes almost immediately with:

	The SCAP content stream <ssg-rhel6-> is not applicable to this
platform per the CPE definitions

I've tried on both RHEL6 Workstation and Server, and I've also tried
stripping the <platform> information from the XML files.

I'm attempting this for two reasons, as otherwise I'm perfectly happy
scanning with OpenSCAP.  SCC has the ability to run a check on a single rule
at a time, which is useful.  Also, I have an inspection soon, and they may
want me to use it.

--
Ray Shaw (Contractor, STG)
Army Research Laboratory