[RFC] SCAP security guide to become member of larger community - OpenSCAP ecosystem by changing it's name to OpenSCAP security guide?

Shawn Wells shawn at redhat.com
Thu May 1 18:31:21 UTC 2014

On 4/30/14, 10:39 AM, Martin Preisler wrote:
> [...]

Jan, thank you for starting this conversation! I'm _*very*_ much in
favor of a unified umbrella/naming.

As sgrubb pointed out, OpenSCAP has classically been the interpreter. If
we rename SSG to "OpenSCAP Security Guide," the name creates an
impression the content would only work with OpenSCAP. For this reason,
are you proposing we change the OpenSCAP interpreter as well? e.g.:

OpenSCAP: A portfolio of open source SCAP utilities and content, which
includes:
         * OpenSCAP Workbench:    Used for tailoring content (formerally
scap-workbench)
         * OpenSCAP Interpreter:    A cross platform, open source SCAP
interpreter)
         * OpenSCAP Content:        An open source project delivering a
large body of SCAP content. Used as upstream for such profiles as the
STIG and C2S
         * OpenSCAP Anaconda Plugin:     A project to integrate SCAP
scanning into Linux provisioning
         * OpenSCAP Spacewalk Plugin:    A project to integrate
centralized SCAP scanning into the Spacewalk/Satellite system management
software