[RFC] SCAP security guide to become member of larger community - OpenSCAP ecosystem by changing it's name to OpenSCAP security guide?

Simon Lukasik slukasik at redhat.com
Thu May 1 07:09:27 UTC 2014

On 04/30/2014 04:08 PM, Jan Lieskovsky wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
>    in effort to increase discoverability of security compliance solutions,
> Simon created github's entry for OpenSCAP ecosystem yesterday:
>    [1] https://github.com/OpenSCAP
>
> collecting all the relevant tools / products, necessary to perform
> security compliance checks in automated way. The intention of this
> ecosystem is to have all the parts available at one place, so people
> interested in automated SCAP scans wouldn't need to search for:
> * the scanner,
> * tailoring / remediation tool,
> * the content itself
> at three different locations.
>
> For now those repositories are just mirrors of their parental ones
> (copies which will get updated on regular basis - Simon can clarify
> how often).

Once a while. :)

If any of the projects likes the new location and wants to use it as the
upstream. I am prepared to hand over the permissions.

> Together with this change, we have received proposal of icon / logo
> for the SCAP security guide project. Though yet before you download
> & inspect the attached tarballs, I need to mention, there are two
> versions of the icons attached:
> * one is for current "SCAP Security Guide" project name (SCAP_logos_SCAP_security_guide.tar.gz),
> * the second to see the proposal if the name of the project would change
>    to "OpenSCAP Security Guide" (OpenSCAP_logos_SCAP_security_guide.tar.gz)
>
> Since there's effort to create OpenSCAP ecosystem, of which SCAP security guide
> project is its indisputable part, besides cloning the repository, the other
> natural subsequent step, coming to mind is to have the project renamed
> from SCAP security guide to OpenSCAP security guide.
>
> In our opinion, look at OpenSCAP ecosystem [1] might induce the potential
> user's impression, the whole project being organized properly (all parts
> being available at one place and all parts named by same prefix, differing
> just by component's name).
>
> The pros / cons of the name change as I was able to collect are as follows:
>
> Pros:
> * whole (security compliance) solution can be viewed / looked at like
>    having organized & unified form (distinguished just by component's name /
>    colour of the icon),
>
> * all the necessary bits are reachable at one place (=> lowering the potential
>    user's "start barrier" in effort to get familiar with the concept)
>
> Cons:
> * user's accustomed to old name might get confused. It might need to take
>    some time till they get accustomed to start using new name,
>
> * the content being named "OpenSCAP Security Guide" (IOW with OpenSCAP brand)
>    might induce the impression, it's not usable in other tools / scanners
>    than just by OpenSCAP one. This could be overcome by us providing tutorial
>    articles / images pinpointing the use of SCAP Security Guide content with
>    tools (scanners) other than OpenSCAP to disperse the potential confusion
>    (clearly state it's possible to use it in other scanners too).
>
> To express my subjective opinion I like the idea of the project to be
> renamed to "OpenSCAP Security Guide". But wanted to know wider opinions
> from the community on the potential translation.
>
> Please express you preference(s).
>
> Thank you && Regards, Jan.
> --
> Jan iankko Lieskovsky / Red Hat Security Technologies Team
>
> P.S.: Attached are icons / logos for both alternatives.

I very much like the unified look of the OpenSCAP* icons. I believe that
we don't need to rename the individual projects. However, I like the
OpenSCAP brand, and I believe that using OpenSCAP* icons brings a value,
i.e. it could be more digestible for newcomers.

--
Simon Lukasik
Security Technologies, Red Hat, Inc.