openscap HTML report redesign

Jan Lieskovsky jlieskov at redhat.com
Wed Jul 16 11:57:59 UTC 2014

Hello Martin,

----- Original Message -----

Thank you for this effort. Generally looks very nice (I would even
say more professional than the actual version). Though couple of
personal observations / preferences:

* there are kinda too much colours for me for the first image / example:
    http://martin.preisler.me/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/screenshot1.png

But maybe just question of personal preferences.

* for the first image yet. Noticed "header line" like 'Characteristics',
  'Compliance and Scoring' ...

  would be nice (if having longer page to display) these to have / be
  HTML anchors to simplify page navigation.

* for the Requested features section:
  -- "Rule filtering – for example to hide all passed rules" - would be very
  nice to have 'selected / group by views' - e.g. ability to display only
  rules ending / finishing with failed, notchecked, unknown, error result,

  -- Rule sorting – for example by severity, to form a remediation priority queue

     +1 Basically I would say it should be possible to sort (in descending/ascending
     order) according to each table column header listed (e.g. to put into context
     the first example possibility to sort by Title, Identifiers, Severity, Result).

  -- Custom display of columns -- related with previous one. Is there a chance there
     might be more columns added in the future? If so, would it be possible (via
     setting / configuring scap-workbench preferences dialog) to specify, which columns
     should be shown in the report? Understand this is more feature request for scap-workbench
     than for openscap now, but would be good to think at it in the future.

  -- "Rule full-text search – type CVEs, CCEs, titles, parts of descriptions, filter rules by them"
     +1 Would it be possible to add searching by rule IDs? Rule IDs are unique, and often
     the most quicker way how to find a specific rule (many rules belonging to
     same section, e.g. PAM one share common prefix, differing just by couple of
     words)

  -- speaking about groups, SSG benchmark content is organized into groups (System Settings,
     Services, etc.). Would it be possible to display something like treeview (tree item headers
     having labels matching to group name, expandable tree items matching particular rules)?

  -- "Custom branding  – allow downstreams to insert their own logo" + 1, another nice
     feature

  -- "Generate guide just for the chosen profile – as opposed to generating guide for the default profile"
      again +1 for this feature

> Martin, I do like what where this is heading.
>
> Thank You!

Thank you && Regards, Jan.
--
Jan iankko Lieskovsky / Red Hat Security Technologies Team