Red Hat and the CentOS Project

Spencer Shimko spencer at quarksecurity.com
Mon Jan 13 18:25:49 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 3:34 PM, Shawn Wells <shawn at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 1/9/14, 2:48 PM, Nunez, Luis K wrote:
>
>> I noticed the recent news of Red Hat's intent to partner and collaborate
>> with the CentOS Project and was wondering if SSG will branch on CentOS
>> content?  From time to time folks have asked about running SCAP content on
>> the CentOS platform.   Could CentOS leverage the shared directory?  I am
>> just throwing this out to see the interest level.

<snip...>
> Since CentOS really shouldn't be used on any government network, is there
> really a need for SCAP content? Creating such would seem to endorse the
> usage of CentOS, which really shouldn't be done.

While there is government-specific content, SSG is an open community
that develops and provides content for others to consume, use, and
deploy, to their betterment, not just the government :)  I would hope
SSG would embrace patches that provide similar benefits on alternative
platforms and hope the community members would not take that as any
form of endorsement.  Besides, isn't Fedora already included?

That said, I completely understand the project's focus on RHEL and the
fact that release testing etc all happen on RHEL.

Thanks,
--Spencer