Issue with PASS_MIN_DAYS validation

wm-lists wm-lists at nixpeeps.com
Thu Oct 24 15:40:35 UTC 2013

I'm using scap-security-guide-0.1-12.el6.noarch as my source from

http://people.redhat.com/swells/scap-security-guide/rpmbuild/src/redhat/RPMS/noarch/

Running oscap xccdf eval --profile server
/usr/share/xml/scap/ssg/content/ssg-rhel6-xccdf.xml
Generates a failure for
Title   Set Password Minimum Age
Rule    password_min_age
Ident   CCE-27013-2
Result  fail

Title   Set Password Maximum Age
Rule    password_max_age
Ident   CCE-26985-2
Result  fail

Title   Set Password Strength Minimum Uppercase Characters
Rule    password_require_uppercases
Ident   CCE-26601-5
Result  fail

Title   Set Password Strength Minimum Special Characters
Rule    password_require_specials
Ident   CCE-26409-3
Result  fail

Title   Set Password Strength Minimum Lowercase Characters
Rule    password_require_lowercases
Ident   CCE-26631-2
Result  fail

Among others.
I have cracklib configured what I believe is correct (according to the CCE)
# grep cracklib /etc/pam.d/system-auth-ac
password    requisite     pam_cracklib.so dcredit=-1 ucredit=-1 ocredit=-1
lcredit=-1 difok=4 try_first_pass retry=3 minlen=14 type=
# grep PASS /etc/login.defs

PASS_MAX_DAYS   180
PASS_MIN_DAYS   1
PASS_MIN_LEN    14
PASS_WARN_AGE   7

Any help on what I might be missing here?

Thanks!
Will