GConf checks and testing if a Package is installed

Maura Dailey maura at eclipse.ncsc.mil
Thu Nov 21 20:34:43 UTC 2013

On 11/21/2013 01:10 PM, Shawn Wells wrote:
> On 11/21/13, 12:40 PM, Maura Dailey wrote:
>> This has come up before. When testing for the value of GConf checks,
>> I'd like to use the package install/remove script to test if GConf2
>> is even installed. The xorg package check exists, but not one for
>> GConf2.
>>
>> In order of preference:
>> 1. I add GConf2 to the list of packages that should be removed and
>> write one of those extend checks inside every gconf check. Profiles
>> can decide how they feel about GConf2. It could depend on Xorg.
>> 2. I test for the presence of GConf2 in every gconf check.
>> 3. I test for the presence of Xorg, under the assumption that GConf2
>> will also be installed.
>>
>> Thoughts?
> #1, and as noted don't add the check to a profile. Believe gconf is
> provided by gdm, not xorg though:

On my system:
$ rpm -qf /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory/
GConf2-2.28.0-6.el6.x86_64
$ rpm -qf /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/
GConf2-2.28.0-6.el6.x86_64

The prose guide says to use /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory and
/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults. I haven't actually tested the prose
commands to see if they function as expected using those directories.
(We had to use /var/lib/gdm/.gconf.mandatory for the login banner at
work, but I think that's because GDM runs as the gdm user, not as root,
and can't see into all the subdirectories in /etc/gconf.) Reworking
these gconf checks is going to be difficult if we have to support
multiple configuration directories, since some of them can override each
other.