Questions about rpm verification

Robert Sanders rsanders at TrustedCS.com
Mon Jul 8 20:15:18 UTC 2013

Greeting everyone,
  Just had some questions related to the rpm verification items in the RHEL6 STIG.

1) How are people handling 3rd party software that isn't installed from a yum repo?

2) On my RHEL6.4 VM I ran an 'rpm -Va' right after I installed the system, and received the following output:
S.5....T.  c /etc/maven/maven2-depmap.xml
..5....T.    /usr/share/ibus-table/tables/compose.db
..5....T.    /usr/share/ibus-table/tables/latex.db
SM5....T.  c /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date
.M....G..    /var/log/gdm
.M.......    /var/run/gdm
missing     /var/run/gdm/greeter
..5....T.  c /usr/lib/security/classpath.security
..5....T.  c /etc/inittab
S.5....T.    /usr/share/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg
....L....  c /etc/pam.d/fingerprint-auth
....L....  c /etc/pam.d/password-auth
....L....  c /etc/pam.d/smartcard-auth
....L....  c /etc/pam.d/system-auth
S.5....T.  c /etc/rsyslog.conf

So this shows there are 6 'issues' to be dealt with since we can ignore the config issues (c).  Most of these are non-issues so far as I can see, due to files being rebuilt/tweaked during install or known transient files, and could be avoided if the owning rpms labeled the files as configuration files perhaps.

-Rob