note for the USGCB tickets

Jeffrey Blank blank at eclipse.ncsc.mil
Tue Feb 26 14:40:19 UTC 2013

Shawn (et al),

The ticketing system shows me you'd opened up a bunch of tickets to add
a "New rule" for items which were in the old RHEL 5 USGCB profile.
Okay, great, this helps with ensuring there is continuation of that
profile/baseline with some consistency.

A few notes:
1) I've been able to close some of the tickets as "fixed", providing
explanation as to why.  Some of them are being handled through other
mechanisms for RHEL 6.

2)  If anybody starts executing on the other tickets, the goal is NOT to
add new rules as the ticket says, but rather to conduct investigation to
see if the Rule is applicable to RHEL 6 in the same way it was
applicable to RHEL 5.

3) In the ticket titles, there is some of the odd CCE language which
talks about disabling/enabling things "as appropriate".  That's fine as
an identifier (and the RHEL 6 USGCB did use some of this language).
However, this style of language, which is intended for neither a human
nor a machine, should never appear in the project's XCCDF. (Just in case
anybody gets any ideas.)

Thanks,
Jeff