Sysctl settings - order dependency?

Robert Sanders rsanders at TrustedCS.com
Wed Dec 11 16:18:12 UTC 2013

Morning list,
  Just (re)stumbled across something that I wonder if anyone else has ever seen.  Are sysctl settings independent?  By that I mean if I change setting foo, can setting bar be altered?

  Here's my problem child, which I've reproduced on both RHEL6.4 and RHEL5.8 this morning.

Our of the box, net.ipv4.ip_forward is set to 1, and net.ipv4.conf.all.accept_redirects is set to 0.
So I change ip_foward to 0 using 'sysctl -w net.ipv4.ip_forward=0'.  But now net.ipv4.conf.all.accept_redirects is showing a value of 1.  Same behavior if I do "echo '1'> /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward".

What I'd done before was just reverse the order of assignments, doing the net.ipv4.conf.all.accept_redirects setting before ip_forward, and that seems to work.  But I'm curious if this is either just my system, or other people see this also.

-Rob