telnet section

Shawn Wells shawn at redhat.com
Thu Aug 1 03:09:16 UTC 2013

On 7/31/13 2:24 PM, Brian Peake wrote:

>> >Hm. Perhaps this whole thing can be simplified.
>> >
>> >Right now we have two checks:
>> >     - package_telnet-server_removed.xml
>> >     - service_telnetd_disabled.xml
>> >
>> >They seem redundant, and I'm failing to find reasons against just
>> >deleting service_telnetd_disabled. There's no way telnet can be enabled
>> >if the package isn't installed, right?
>> >
>> >Is there a reason to continue maintaining both checks?
> Shawn,
> I don't think so. I believe there are other checks that have the same
> redundancy alsoŠ

Everything in the 'Obsolete Services' can trivially be migrated away to
a 'uninstall' rule:
http://people.redhat.com/swells/scap-security-guide/RHEL6/output/rhel6-guide.html#item-obsolete

These would be:
     - xinetd
     - telnet-server
     - rsh-server
     - ypserv
     - tftp-server

I'd wager much of the 'Base Services' fall under this too:
http://people.redhat.com/swells/scap-security-guide/RHEL6/output/rhel6-guide.html#item-base
     - abrt
     - acpid
     - certmonger
     - cgconfig
     - cgred
     - cpuspeed
     - haldaemon
     - irqbalance
     - kdump
     - mdmonitor
     - messagebus
     - netconsole
     - ntpdate
     - oddjobd
     - portreserve
     - psacct
     - quota_nld
     - rdisc
     - rhnsd
     - rhsmcertd
     - saslauthd
     - smartd
     - sysstat

Can anyone think of why we'd want to have checks for*both* uninstall and
disabled?